Friday, February 26, 2010

On having a second...

child that is.

I have been thinking a lot about this (and no I do not have an announcement to make) it's more the thought of "how am I ever going to do that again?" especially knowing what I know now.

When you find out that you are pregnant with your first baby you have (due to your highly hormonal state) some lofty ideas of how your child will be. You see, for example, a woman at the grocery store peeling her child off the floor as he throws a serious tantrum because she would not buy him cookies and you think "MY child will NEVER do that!" In addition YOUR child will sleep through the night from the time he is born, he will never cry but rather whimper softly whenever he needs something. He will never interupt your shower or spit up his entire bottle all over your new clothes, and he will be perfectly content to lie peacefully anywhere you set him and talk quietly to himself while you get the things done that you need to. He will take excellent naps, always waking up in a pleasant mood, and will pass right through teething without a sign of discomfort.

And then you find yourself with a baby who you swear has been teething since day one and you have soap suds in your hair from the shower that you where halfway through and you are looking frantically for something that you can wear that does not reak of spit up.

And yet when you go and visit you friend in the hospital, and hold her newborn baby you find yourself giving you husband that "Please can i have one?" look. What is it about women that draw us to babies? I have had days when my child won't leave me alone and I think that if another person touches me I will lose it but a friend comes over with her baby and I hear myself saying "Awww... can I hold him?"

Which I suppose is why kids get siblings. Because even though you know full well the ups and downs of having a baby you can't shake that urge to hold a newborn baby.
And then you look over at your little guy playing by himself and think "He could use a friend", someone to play with which will allow me to get things done without a child attached to my leg, because I am sure that MY children will play nicely together ALL the time...

I can dream can't I.

4 comments:

  1. I was (am) definitely guilty of the "my child will never do that" thoughts. But now when I see a kid having a tantrum, I tell myself not to get frustrated because more likely than not, that WILL be my child at least once, one day. Our little one is not yet 4 months so a second is a ways off for us, but even now, I wonder how I'll manage two...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel the same way! My thoughts of having a second child are concerns about how to get through the grocery store with a toddler and infant and how to get them in and out of their carseats in an orderly fashion. Women do it all the time (heck, ours both did) but it just seems like adding another one will be much harder than just having one. But oh have I been bitten by the baby bug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did you know exactly what i KNOW our baby is going to be like? haha. j/k. i know it's not going to be like that, but i can pretend while i don't know any better right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are READING MY MIND! This post may just have to be a guest blogger post on my blog, what do you think!! I love it and couldn't have put it better. There are days that all I want is to give wes a little baby sibling--and then reality sets in! It makes me feel so much better that you know how I feel!

    ReplyDelete