Saturday, February 27, 2010

on sleep...

I LOVE to sleep.

It's kind of my thing. Always has been (except for that brief early rising episode when I was a baby). But aside from that I have always been a big sleeper. Growing up my parents didn't let me have a sleepover until I was like 12 because they predicted, which turned out to be dead on, that I would be asleep by 8:00 leaving all my friends to ransack the house while I slept.

Then as I got older I became queen of the Sunday afternoon nap, I would crash for a good 3+ hours wake up and then go to bed by 9. I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, anytime, anywhere. And when I sleep I am completely out, my husband will have conversations with me, or will tell me to go to bed and I will walk up the stairs, brush my teeth, change my clothes, get into bed and wake up the next morning with no memory of how I got there. Like I said I LOVE to sleep.

When I was pregnant I was afraid that when I had the baby I would not wake up when he cried because I have slept through earthquakes, the previously mentioned party with seven screaming 12 year old girls, movies (in the theater), dodger games (at the stadium I would curl up in those horribly hard uncomfortable seats and be out cold by the 3rd inning). I have fallen asleep at Disneyland laying on the ground waiting for Fantasmic to start and once a car that I was in got pulled over by a cop, yep slept right through it.

Ridiculous...yes but there it is. I have told my husband that he could have a wild night life and I would never know it. He has gotten out of bed, turned on the t.v. in the room, turned on lights, ran errands and I have slept through it all.

Of course the baby came, and in the strange phenomenon that is the woman's brain I hear him sneeze in his room (down the hall on behind a closed door) and I am wide awake. Weird I know.

Well the other night my husband had a coughing attack after we went to bed. And I can remember hearing him cough through the depths of my unconsciousness and thinking "oh I must be dreaming" so I just ignored it and kept sleeping. Well it went on and on, until I finally realized I wasn't dreaming and turned over and mumbled "are you ok?" to which he responded "no" and I can vaguely remember processing his answer right before I fell back asleep.

Poor guy he was up until 1:30 in the morning and all he got was a half-hearted mumble of concern from his wife. The sad thing is that although he has teased me about lack of sympathy, after 3 years of marriage it did not really surprise him. He knows the depth of my sleeping abilities and that you must make sure I am fully awake before expecting anything.

Sad but true story.

No comments:

Post a Comment