Thursday, October 14, 2010

on naming a baby...

My biggest concern these days is that my baby will never have a name. I literally cannot think of a single boys name that I like. I am having serious issues with this. I have gone through my baby name book that has 5 million names and found exactly 5 million names that I feel completely indifferent towards. I have googled baby names and found only that celebrities must really hate their children because who names a kid "Apple" anyways. Also one poor little boy is named "Speck"... seriously. If that kid doesn't grow up with a complex then no one will. Who does that?

The other day I was with my husbands family and my sister in law and niece were trying to help me. I finally had to stop saying what I was thinking because every name that they came up with I either knew someone with that name (and not just like some kid that i ran into once in third grade) but like a cousins name or one of their kids names or a close friend. And I felt bad that I was shooting down all their names.

It is a lot of pressure to name a kid. This is the name they will be stuck with for the rest of their lives. Also this is the name that your will be hollering multiple times a day for at least the first 4 years of life so it better roll off your tongue naturally. You want it cute for when they are tiny and yet solid enough so when they grow up they aren't stuck as "Dr Stuey".


I guess the hardest part is that I have tons of girl names that I would love to use, but no girls currently growing in my belly so I am out of luck with that one. In fact I had the name, I was sure this baby was a girl so I had her name first and middle all ready. We had told our son and everything. So much for that.
 
I also LOVED my first son's name. I was set on it right from the start and had to convince my husband that it was the one. We had a list of other names too that we gave our parents (we don't tell the name of our baby until they are born partially because my husband likes to surprise people and partially because you get more people's opinions when you say "we are thinking of naming him this..." instead of "this is our kid, his name is..." and i think you need to see the kid before you can decide on a name because not every baby can pull off "Butch")
 
Sidetrack anyways, I loved my first little boy's name and now I can't find one that I love and I feel like I am just going to have to pick something and it won't be a name I love and I will always feel bad that the first child got the name I loved and his father's name as a middle name and the second just got stuck with something sad like "Howard" because he had to have a name and I had nothing.
 
Well that's the problem I have. But I guess I have 3 (oh my gosh I thought I had more than 3 months left! yikes! that was a reality check) more months to figure it out.
 
P.S. Please do not be offended if you happen to love the names Stuey, Butch or Howard they are just not my cup of tea. But if you like the name Speck you have serious problems.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree....names are telling. Jared has a friend who taught a girl named L-A (LaDasha) and another named Abcde (absidie). Enjoy those names girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete