Monday, September 27, 2010

on my weekend away...

My husband and I just got back from a weekend away from our child. The first time we spent a night away was about 5 months ago and it was a little traumatic for me. But this time way so nice. 

I love my child. He is everything to me. The sheer fact that I deal on a day to day basis with the temper tantrums and terrible two issues is living proof of that. I would do anything for my child. And admitting that I need time away from him or that I enjoyed myself immensely without him does not change that.

Sometimes I feel like all I am is a mother. That is all I do all day long and sometimes well into the night. Slowly things that you used to enjoy get replaced by diapers and bedtimes and laundry. My husband mentioned the other day that I no longer greet him when he comes home from work at the door with a kiss, and you know what he is absolutely right. At 6 o'clock when he gets home I am in the middle of making dinner while attempting to not trip over the child attached to my leg. I usually use "Look Daddy is home!" as away to pawn off the child onto him so I can have a moment of peace. But that is motherhood. It is what we all signed up for, and I love it, most of the time.

I never wanted my husband and I to become "those parents" who lose themselves in their children. You know the ones that every sitcom has done an episode on where the parents go to dinner or away for the weekend and they have nothing to say to each other so they keep repeating the same things over and over about their kids or how they like the lemon in their water or some other mundane thing.

 But I am happy to say that the weekend away proved that we are not "those parents". We laughed and talked about all kinds of things and really enjoyed being together. It was so nice and I highly recommend it to every parent. It was great to be just the two of us again. To remember how it was when we could be spontaneous and stay up all night if we wanted to. To reinforce that he was exactly the right guy for me to take on this crazy adventure with and that I am as in love with him now as I ever have been, and just because life gets in the way sometimes and raising a child can be stressful, at the end of the day there is no one that I would rather be taking this journey with than him.

(Another great thing about getting away is how much more your family appreciates you. Both my husband and my mother have had the opportunity to be me for a weekend and both have said how happy they are that I came back, how they don't know how I do it all and how exhausting my job is. And since I have been home my child has been attacking me with hugs and kisses. It is nice to be appreciated!)

No comments:

Post a Comment