Sunday, July 25, 2010

on grandpa...

My grandfather is currently fighting for his life in a hospital room. He was admitting last week with pneumonia and last night suddenly took a turn for the worse. We almost lost him, actually we did for a few moments. He was not supposed to make it through the night but by some miracle he did.

Last night was one of the worst night of my life. I sat on a cold plastic chair in a tiny little waiting room watching my grandmother's heart break as she pleaded with the Lord to let her have just a little more time with her husband. At some point through the hours of sobbing and praying she asked the question "did he know?" Did he know how much I loved him, did he know that he means everything to me, did he know that he is the best thing that ever happened to me, did he really know. Did I tell him enough, did I show him enough, did he see through all the stupid things I have said over the years... It is a horrible question to have to ask yourself when you might never get the chance to make it right.

Of course grandpa knows that his doting wife adores him. That they are as much in love today as they were 60 years ago when they were married. And in this time of crisis that is something that she can hold on to, that he does know. I have had to ask this question once before in my life and unfortunately my answer was no, she did not know.

So my question to all of you is the same "Do they know?' Do your kids know how much you love them, does your husband know. Do you tell them evey day, every chance you get or do you just assume they know. Do your parents, siblings, grandparents, and friends know?  Or do you let other things get in the way of telling them.

don't let another day pass without letting them know, so you will never have to ask that question.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't believe things changed so fast! I'm so sorry to hear that it's so bad. I love you so much and am here if you need anything. You are all in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete