Wednesday, March 10, 2010

on simple things...

today my mom watched the little man while I went to the grocery store. The reason for this is that the little man has become a TERROR to shop with, those of you who have been subjected to a shopping experience with us know full well what I am talking about.
And I have to say that I LOVED going to the grocery store by myself! It was so nice, I even found myself wandering down every isle, even though I only needed to pick up a few things, just to bask in the beauty of my aloneness.
I could spend as long as I liked looking at the items for sale without a peircing scream interupting my thoughts.
I did not have to keep the cart moving at a fast clip in order to maximize the short time I would have before the inevitable meltdown.
I did not have to give a blow by blow of my every action as a way of distracting the child from the fact that he is confined to a cart.
And, although I found myself doing it anyways out of habit, I did not have to keep the cart moving back and forth everytime I stopped in an effort to soothe the child.
It was a beautiful thing, and yet it was just grocery shopping.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's the simple things that are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me dread grocery shopping in about a year.

    ReplyDelete